I guess BuildDependsOnly flag is intended to improve scalability, but
I think it is a bad idea.

The problem is library-to-library dependency. For example, every
applications depending on gtk+2 must also depend on atk1, glib2-dev,
pango1-xft2-dev, gettext-dev and libiconv-dev. This is major source of
error. When Todai Fink Team runned a script like this in April:

for pkg in all-nonvirtual-packages; do
  if $pkg is not built; then
    fink remove all-of-non-essential-packages
    fink -y build $pkg
  fi
done

we found many many packages (for example Apache2) could not be built
because something (for example libiconv-dev) is missing in
BuildDepends. Such a error would not have happened if gtk+2-dev
had depended on pango1-xft and glib2-dev, glib2-dev had depended on
gettext-dev, and gettext-dev had depended on libiconv-dev.

Moreover, if library A started using another library B, everything
depending on A would need to start BuildDepending on B-dev. This is
very annoying.

I suggest to get rid of BuildDependsOnly and let A-dev depend on
B-dev. Or am I overlokking some negative side effect?