I've been watching in horror the correspondence regarding the new gcc version in Xcode 2.2 and its potential impact on a bunch of fortran programs I maintain, smug in my realization that sloth, once again, is its own reward (I still have 2.1).

Since fink has its own fortran compilers, why not also have the rest of gcc and make and so on within fink? Wouldn't that help avoid the crises like the current one, and allow better regularization? A side benefit is that it might also allow one to skip an 800 MB+ download that is now required just to get gcc. I guess one would have to start with a binary install of the compiler, but that seems a small price to pay.

Bill Scott