Hello,

There is some problems about xfontpath.

1. No longer maintained. Its upstream website has disappeared.

2. It cannot handle differences between X servers. XDarwin server can
handle TrueType fonts and TTCap syntax at fints.dir(right?). In
contrast Xquartz not only is unable to display TrueType fonts but
confuses when TTCap syntax is used in one of fonts.dir in the font
path. The xfontpath therefore need to exclude incompatible directories
when Xquartz is used.

3. The right place to run "xfontpath enable" is not a profile.d script
but a xinitrc.

4. Must not invoked unless "$DISPLAY" = :0.0.

5. Should not depend on x11. Fonts depend on xfontpath and therefore
on x11 but some of them are also used by non-X11 programs, namely
ghostscript.

The 3., 4. and 5. can be easily fixed but the 2. is more complicated.
At least we make an incompatible change to xfontpath.conf format. It
is desirable, though not necessary, that xfontpath be able to detect
which X server is running. It can be implemented by patching against
XDarwin to pass some information to xfontpath via environment
variables.

I propose that we merge xfontpath and my xinitrc into base-files. If
perl is unnacceptable there, it can be reimplemented in shell or
shell+awk script.