On Mar 14, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

Martin Costabel wrote:

$ for GCC in gcc2 gcc3 gcc-3.3 gcc-3.3.3 gcc-3.4.1 gcc-4.0
i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 ; do echo $GCC : `$GCC - dumpmachine` ;done

gcc2 : ppc-darwin
gcc3 : ppc-darwin
gcc-3.3 : ppc-darwin
gcc-3.3.3 : powerpc-apple-darwin7.4.0
gcc-3.4.1 : powerpc-apple-darwin7.4.0
gcc-4.0 : powerpc-apple-darwin8
i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 : i686-apple-darwin8

Nobody seems to have told debian about this.

well, we're using a rather old version of dpkg...

I've got updated dpkg and apt packages in my experimental that appear to
do better on intel:

---(snip!)---
$ dpkg-architecture
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=darwin-i386
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_OS=darwin
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=darwin
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i486-darwin
DEB_HOST_ARCH=darwin-i386
DEB_HOST_ARCH_OS=darwin
DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=darwin
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=i486-darwin

Not sure why they want to make it "i486" for the GNU stuff, but hey, it
works, at least.  :)

A lot of packages try to detect which ix86 processor a machine has so that they can tune gcc to match. Because of the proliferation of ix86 processors, such code quickly becomes outdated. :) Unfortunately, since the Core Duo is so new, most packages don't correctly identify it and often fall back to i386 or i486. Which can degrade performance since Apple's gcc is already properly tuned by default.

I'd appreciate some testers, it would be nice to have a modern dpkg and
apt in Fink again.

I'll try it out.

--
Daniel Johnson