Kurt Schwehr wrote:
> Sigh... just got this from a friend.  Not having an
> intel mac and being remote, I have no idea what is
> wrong.
>
> <quote>
> So i got everything with mb-system working, but
> destroyed my computer in the process and had to
> reinstall osx. Now everything is fine.  I met another
> person who had to do the exact same thing with the
> intel mac.  I think the real problem is with fink.
> When I ran update-all, something jacked all my
> permissions and corrupted my applications.  I'm not
> sure, but I think it might have something to do with
> the unstable g95 package.  Anyway, I'll let you know
> if I find anything spectacular in these mb datasets
> </quote>
>
> Before the machine got hosed, I found that there were
> powerpc libs running around in places I would not
> expect...  Is this the way things should be?
>
> ar -x /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLw.a
> ~ schwehr$ ls -l
> -rw-r--r--    1 schwehr  schwehr    860 Feb 25 12:17
> GLwDAUtil.o
> -rw-r--r--    1 schwehr  schwehr   9996 Feb 25 12:17
> GLwDrawA.o
> -rw-r--r--    1 schwehr  schwehr  11044 Feb 25 12:17
> GLwM1DrawA.o
> -rw-r--r--    1 schwehr  schwehr  11044 Feb 25 12:17
> GLwM2DrawA.o
> -rw-r--r--    1 schwehr  schwehr    352 Feb 25 12:17
> __.SYMDEF SORTED
> -rw-r-----    1 schwehr  schwehr      0 Feb 24 15:59
> foo.h
> -rw-r-----    1 schwehr  schwehr  35073 Feb 24 15:41
> prof
> $ file *.o
> GLwDAUtil.o:  Mach-O object ppc
> GLwDrawA.o:   Mach-O object ppc
> GLwM1DrawA.o: Mach-O object ppc
> GLwM2DrawA.o: Mach-O object ppc

Ummm...Fink doesn't support migration from PowerPC, and won't generate
PowerPC code on an Intel box.  Normally the failure mode with Fink is
that it just doesn't update stuff, because dpkg gets unhappy.

Those files are from X11, and could even be due to not updating Apple's
X11 to an Intel version.

I think your friend is way off base blaming Fink.