On 9/28/07, Vincent Beffara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Is it possible to move current (2.13.16) version to stable branch of
> > > fink and update unstable to have 2.27.XX?
> >
> > It appears that the only missing dependency is lablgtk (unmaintained),
> > so if there aren't any objections, I can go ahead and move our
> > existing unison package to stable.
>
> Unison used to be violently incompatible across versions (both ways,
> there is AFAIK no way to have 2.09 talk to 2.13).  I'm not sure it's
> still the case, as their API might have converged since then, but some
> people who update-all without looking might get bitten by that ...
> Especially since recompiling on the opposite end is not trivial at all
> if OCaml is not present.
>
>   /v
>
> --
> Vincent Beffara
> UMPA - ENS-Lyon
> 46 allée d'Italie
> 69364 Lyon Cedex 07
> Tél : 04 72 72 85 25

It is indeed still the case.  The existing unison package builds
executables for 2.9.1, 2.10.2, and 2.13.16; I believe at the time most
Linux distros included the first, the second was the upstream stable
release, and the third was the upstream "beta".

A simple way to update the unstable packaging would be just to _add_
what is needed to build 2.27.x , though it would also be good to move
from lablgtk to lablgtk2.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
akh AT finkproject DOT org