On Mar 21, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

>   Does anyone know why when installing ghostscript 8.61-3 in fink
> 10.5 unstable,
> the following dpkg warnings appear?
>
> Preparing to replace ghostscript 8.61-3 (using .../
> ghostscript_8.61-4_darwin-i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement ghostscript ...
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/share/cups/model':
> Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/share/cups':
> Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/share': Directory
> not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/libexec/cups/
> filter': Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/libexec/cups':
> Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr/libexec': Directory
> not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/usr': Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/private/etc/cups':
> Directory not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/private/etc': Directory
> not empty
> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old file `/private': Directory not
> empty
>
> I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before.
>                 Jack

Actually this is from installing 8.61-4 over in place of 8.61-3.

8.61-3 installed files outside of the Fink tree--though I would have
thought the validator would have caught that:

$ dpkg -L ghostscript | grep -v "\/sw\/"
/.
/private
/private/etc
/private/etc/cups
/private/etc/cups/pstoraster.convs
/sw
/usr
/usr/libexec
/usr/libexec/cups
/usr/libexec/cups/filter
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopxl
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster
/usr/share
/usr/share/cups
/usr/share/cups/model
/usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/pxlmono.ppd

8.61-4 disables cups support so as not to install these files, and
dpkg is just warning you that it isn't going to delete files and
directories that aren't empty because you have stuff there.