On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Capehart, William J wrote:

Hi All:

My attempts to build the gnu compilers:

gcc4 (4.0.2-3) and
gcc42 (42-4.2.2-1000)

w/ Fink have met with failure (w/ fink commander, fink plain and fink plain as single user)

My machine specs (yes, the machine's long in the tooth but still quite serviceable in most ways except in compiling gcc!)

OS: Dawin 8.11.0 (Tiger 10.4.11)
Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G3
Memory: 1GB Ram (which is why it's still serviceable for most tasks)
XCode: 2.5

While I've been able to get the G95 and G77 builds compiled/built/ working, I'd be nice to have the gfortran compilers too for work with netCDF and NCAR graphics (I'll likely need 5.0.0, not the currently available fink build)

Any ideas or suggestions here (besides sticking to Linux or getting a new machine that runs leopard -- I'm fond of this little jalopy)

Thanks Much
Bill

Bill Capehart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Associate Professor
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences         Land Surface Processes
213 Mineral Industries Building                 Hydrometeorology
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph:  +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street                Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995                Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

We would need more specific information about the nature of the failure, such as the last line the compiler tried to run, and the error message you got afterward.