(I talked with David earlier about this on IRC, and this is a followup)

The issue is that I wanted to update a package to use imagemagick1.  It
wound up failing thusly:

g++ -I/sw/include/ImageMagick -g -O2 -Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE -DYYDEBUG=1
-g -O2
 -L/sw/lib -o drawtiming -L/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib
-L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/
usr/X11/lib -R/usr/X11/lib -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -lfreetype -lz
-Wl,-framewo
rk,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -L/sw/lib main.o
parser.o sca
nner.o timing.o -L/sw/lib -lMagick++ -lWand -lMagick -lgnugetopt
ld: library not found for -lWand
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

David told me that upstream is now using libMagickWand instead of
libWand, so I looked in my packages' source code for a hardcoded lWand.
There was none.  I found that it was getting its ImageMagick build
environment from %p/bin/Magick++-config (installed through
imagemagick1-dev).  So I checked that, and found the following line:

    --libs)
      echo "-L${libdir} -lMagick++ -lWand -lMagick"

So I'd think we'd either need a compatibility symlink libWand.dylib ->
libMagicWand.1.dylib, or to fix Magick++-config (that looks like the
only config file that will output -lWand).