On Jul 20, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Robert Wyatt wrote:

Daniel Macks wrote:
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:28:30PM -0500, Robert Wyatt wrote:
Robert T Wyatt wrote:
In trying to install pine-ssl in unstable:

I'm not sure what's going on, but I think it might have to do with what
seems to me like a catch-22:

openssl097: Depends: openssl (>= 0.9.7m-5)

openssl conflicts with openssl097, but openssl097 is installed
Now that I've gotten some sleep and some coffee, it occurs to me that
I have a vague recollection that pine-ssl is not necessary. So while
this discussion may be moot, it may time to remove pine-ssl from the
PDB (if anyone has a better memory about this, please feel free to
chime in). I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the relevant
correspondence from I don't know how long ago.

pine was superceded by alpine upstream. Maybe time to replace pine and
pine-ssl (both presently unmaintaind) with pointers to alpine (which
is maintained)? The *pine builds are scary-nonstandard...no reason to
keep obsolete stuff that is difficult to understand and build.

dan

Thanks Dan, for what it's worth I just built and installed alpine with
practically no problems on a Quad PPC and on an i386 MacBookPro (both
running 10.5.7). They are both working like a charm! I'll try with a
10.4 machine this evening.

On the PPC, I did have to "fink remove libgettext3-dev" (a build
conflict) because "there are no .debs to restore from" and then used
sudo apt-get install alpine=2.00-1 to resolve the inconsistent dependency.

Besides this, both installations are functioning very well.

Just for reference, the reason pine-ssl doesn't build is that its bizarre build system is hard-coded to link to libldap.a instead of - lldap for some inexplicable reason. openldap23 hasn't built a static library for some time and therefore pine-ssl won't build without extensive patching. It should definitely be removed.

Daniel