On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:02:49PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:46:38AM -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> > On 9/10/09 11:38 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
> >
> > > Benjamin,
> > >    What about the case where the maintainer himself has already
> > > checked in packaging for x86_64 and 10.6 into unstable. Consider...
> >
> > > http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fink/dists/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/fftw3.info?view=log
> >
> > > for example. It is difficult to see the advantage of waiting a
> > > week for something that has already been committed by the maintainer.
> >
> > Like I said, it's not about advantage, it's about not being a jerk to
> > the maintainer and changing their stuff without them at least having a
> > chance to respond.
> >
> > I know you have a hard time with that, since you apparently have no
> > concept of "personal space" on the internet, but humor us.  The rules
> > are not designed to get the maximum package-tude out in the fastest time
> > possible, they're there because we're a community of developers
> > volunteering our time, and people get really frustrated when other
> > people mess with their stuff.  It's just the nice thing to do.
> >
> > A couple of days is not the end of the world.
>
> Benjamin,
>    Your concept of personal space also assumes that we have adequate
> manpower to maintain fink in a usable state. I would remind you that if I
> hadn't pushed through some of the changes I made unilaterally for
> x86_64 support in fink we would be no where near having a usable
> x86_64 release at this time. If your sensibilities would be less
> offended, I would happy to revert all of those changes and resign
> all of my packages.

We welcome your contributions. We expect that you will not make
changes to others' packages without giving them first go at it,
because well, *they* are the maintainer of it. They'd probably love
your testing, feedback, and help, especially on platforms they may not
have, so that things can become available more widely and migrate to
stable.  However, I agree that it seems rude to do something in the
name of someone else (that's explicitly documented in the Maintainer
field).

Give them the chance to learn from your idea or (and maybe make it
even better, or at least implemented in their style) or at least be
aware of what is going to happen rather than waking up and finding
their stuff changed (and receiving feedback about something they
didn't even know happened). Being an underpowered project is no excuse
for jumping on the few others who *do* work.

Numerous maintainers have repeatedly complained about your behavior in
this respect for a long time, and it needs to stop. Fink really needs
to be a collaborative and polite project. Do not pre-emptively change
any packages that aren't yours.

dan

--
Daniel Macks