On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Daniel Macks wrote:

With a new libgettext suite in the works, I'm wondering about getting
a saner package layout for this lib suite. Here's (1) the current
breakdown (gettext3; older gettext appears same):

gettext-doc
 html-format documentation about library and runtime programs
gettext-bin
 runtime programs
 man-format documentation about library and runtime programs*
libgettext3-dev
 library developer files

The * is the crazy part. If we have a separate -doc component, that's
where the docs should be. If we have separate library and runtime
components, docs specifically for one should not be in the other. So
(2) should all doc formats be in the -doc component, or (3) should the
-doc component be abolished and the docs placed in the actual
component (-bin or -dev) to which they relate?

I think the -doc (even with added material from -bin) is on the order
of 100K. Is that large enough (or docs useless enough:) that it should
be offloaded from the main packages rather than being installed
automatically (idea 2)? Since the lib has different versions and the
major-version of -bin need not match that of the -dev installed, is it
needlessly confusing to have an additional -doc that tries to unify
the docs for two separate pkgs (the docs one reads may not apply to
the target presently installed)? I'm thinking separate docs for
independent items, and so abolishing the -dev (idea 3). Or are we best
just ignoring this since inertia of things that aren't badly/visibly
broken avoids having to play any games with upgrade routes, Replaces,
etc. (idea 1)?

I think (3) makes the most sense, but I'm fine with inertia as an excuse. :) I doubt anyone actually uses the docs.

Daniel