On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:54:42 +0200, Max Horn  wrote:

> Am 22.04.2011 um 23:23 schrieb "Daniel Macks" <dma...@netspace.org>:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:12:20 -0400, Daniel Macks  wrote:
> > We've long had xft2-dev and fontconfig2-dev keep their headers and
> > libraries buried in subdirs so that they do not mask system (x11) >
> supplied versions of those same packages. [...]
> >> Is it time to unbury these libraries?
> > > Along the same "get out of the dark ages for probably
> no-longer-needed > compatibility situations that cause their own
> problems", should we also > scrap the static libs? X11 no longer
> ships them and keeping them > entails having some sort of inherited
> build-depends (vs relying on dyld > runtime linking). I vaguely
> remember some package or two checking for > libFOO.{a,so} as a
> ./configure test, so scrapping .a would make that > not work, but if
> it's hardcoded for "static or linux only" it's already > a bit broken?
> > Indeed; and broken in a way that makes it easy to detect / notice
> the brokenness, and also to fix it. Whereas the current buried
> headers can cause lots of subtle irritation and confusion.
>
> So I am all for it :-)

fontconfig2-dev, freetype219, and xft2-dev are now all unburied and no
longer have static libs. There's a pretty good chance other packages
can now just specify versioned depdencies on them as >= 2.8.0-6, >=
2.4.4-2, and >= 2.2.0-1, respectively, and not need special -I, -L, or
PKG_CONFIG_PATH tricks.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks