On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:52:54 -0400, Daniel Macks  wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:17:40 +0200, Max Horn  wrote:
> > Am 18.04.2011 um 17:49 schrieb Daniel Macks:
> > There are some cases were the validator incorrectly complains about
> > perfectly fine packages. Currently, in such cases, the package >
> maintainer then is forced to either make weird unnatural hacks to >
> fool the validator (YUCK), or has to live without being able to use >
> -m. >
> > A concrete example are the geant4.8 and geant4.9 packages, for
> which > the validator complains about them hardcoding /sw. In
> reality, > though, the *upstream* authors hardcoded /sw, and the
> .info file > tries to fix this by replacing /sw with %p. Can you
> convert it to a PatchFile? Val is smart enough to know that removing
> hardcoded /sw is a Good Thing, so "removed" lines *are* allowed to
> have it. Val could have a similar intelligence in PatchScript, where
> we decide on some blessed incantation for this "replacing /sw with
> prefix" useful action. For example, "hardcoded /sw is allowed in
> PatchScript iff it's in this exact string: ,/sw,%p," because I can't
> think of any way that string could be used in other ways.

And while implementing this, I notice it already *is* allowed. Call it
a forward-looking feature or a bug in the implemenation (it's a little
of both), but fact is val does allow you to use PatchScript to remove
hardcoded /sw in upstream sources. Without fancy regexp to hide the
literal "/sw" string.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks