On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:08:11 -0400, Remko Scharroo  wrote:
Dear Fink developers,

> Since I'm running the unstable tree, I need to compile every new
> package. And a few of them, like "cairo" have the gtk-doc
> BuildDepends, EVEN THOUGH it is compiled with --disable-gtk-doc

--enable/disable-gtk-doc is a bit of a misnomer...it controls how much
of the documentation is regenerated from the sources rather than using
the pregenerated files in the tarball. The --disable mode does *not*
disable the documentation, it merely does less regeneration. In most
cases, *some* regeneration is necessary, and most of these cases
require gtk-doc to do so. Fink packages can often get away with
--disable because it saves time (sometimes a lot of time) when
building, but it's often hard (depending on package, potentially a
combination of fragile, highly specific to package and version, complex
patches) to avoid it completely. That's because upstreams often don't
generate their doc files properly and consistently in their releases.
Once it's needed even for one popular package, no sense working hard to
avoid needing it in others that entail that one.

I agree that not having a binary distribution is a major headache, but
it's pretty far down on the list of critical problems that keep popping
up. For example, it's annoying but not broken and it only hurts once.
Do any of the unofficial bindists have a sufficiently recent gtk-doc
(and its dependencies) available? At least among my packages, I try to
keep the version-requirements as low as functionally feasible so that
even a slightly older binary package would suffice.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org