Thanks for the info Jack.  I’ll wait until the dust settles.

Kevin

On Oct 24, 2016, at 08:59 , Jack Howarth <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Kevin Horton <khorto...@rogers.com> wrote:
Jack,

Thanks for all your work.  I'm finally back home today after most of the last two months on the road, and had time to test tracker item 4779, for xephem.

I've tested this with fink -m on macOS 10.12, and ran it with XQuartz 2.7.9 and 2.7.10, with no issues.  I tried to commit it, but I'm getting "cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository”.  I’ve run out of time to troubleshoot tonight, tomorrow is crazy all day, and I might be on the road again starting Tuesday.

I'd appreciate it if someone with working commit privledges could commit the changes in this tracker item.

Unfortunately all of the proposed fixed packaging will have to be revised. The fink core developers want to go with the approach of entirely replacing the libXt from Xquartz with their own libxt and libxt-flat BuildDependOnly packages that install in %p. This will require all packages that link libXt to either BuildDepends/Depends on libxt/libxt-shlibs or libxt-flat/libxt-flat-shlibs.
          Jack
ps I have serious reservations about this approach as it potentially will make builds of packages that aren't updated properly non-deterministic in that the libXt used for linkage could either be from libxt or libxt-flat depending upon what happens to be installed at the time of the build. Also requiring all of the developers to find the libXt linkages in binaries on their on, without a reminder from 'fink validate', seems like a heavy lift.

Thanks.

Kevin Horton - xephem package maintainer