> On Nov 3, 2016, at 16:20, TheSin <the...@southofheaven.org> wrote:
>
> Could we not make a system-xquartz that provides system-xfree86 at the
> version it actually is via .pc file? This will solve a version issue if we
> ever return to a fink xfree (not saying we ever will, but why close the door).
>
> Then things hat have a versioned conflicts or whatever shock be on the system
> xquartz instead of xfree
>
> Just thinking out loud as I’m not an X11 guy there may be a reason this is a
> bad idea, it’s just my first thought instead of poisoning the xfree version.
> ---
> TS
> http://www.southofheaven.org/ <http://www.southofheaven.org/>
> Life begins and ends with chaos, live between the chaos!

There’s no real reason we couldn’t, but we’d still have to make adjustments in
our existing setup.  I picked out system-xfree86 because it’s already present.

We’ve generally been using dependencies on just “x11” and splitoffs.  These are
Provides: of system-xfree86 and splitoffs, and were also Provides: of Fink’s
XFree86 and Xorg packages.  As such, they’re unversioned.

My preference was for an aggregated version because the recent annoying changes
in Xquartz didn’t involve any updates from the upstream codebase, and therefore
the .pc files weren’t updated in version.  My thought was that we’d just have
to use things like Depends: system-xfree86 ( >= 3:2.7.112 ) | <some fink X11
package  library> if a Fink X11 became a thing again and used /opt/X11.  Or,
more likely, we’d have Fink’s x11 use %p/X11 and not support the use of XQuartz.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison