> On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 16, 2017, at 11:37, Scott Hannahs <shann...@users.sourceforge.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I have a question and maybe an issue for the fink cognoscenti.
>>
>> I maintain a package (duplicity) for doing encrypted backups that has an
>> extensive testing phase. That testing phase is failing under fink.  However
>> during that testing, the routines unpack a tar.gz file to create a directory
>> structure for backing up and restoring.
>>
>> In looking at the files, they seem to have the user/group ownership of the
>> tar file and not fink-bld.  I find several other files such as byte compiled
>> python files to have ownership as root and not as fink-bld.  There are a
>> couple of test scripts that end up as fink-bld as the owner but wheel as the
>> group.
>>
>> If the testing phase were executed as root, then it would unpack the tar
>> file as the original owner and not use fink-bld as the owner.  If the
>> following command is done:
>> sudo -u fink-bld tar xzf testfiles.tar.gz
>>
>> Then it will unpack the files as the correct owner/group for testing.  But
>> of course the distributed test script does not hardwire in a fink-bld user
>> for testing.
>>
>> Is this a fink issue?   I was just trying to get my updated package to pass
>> the testing phase.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> Do the tests work if you use “fink -m --no-build-as-nobody build” ?  If so,
> then you might use BuildAsNobody: false in the .info file so that fink builds
> as root instead of fink-bld.  The tradeoff is that the build isn’t quite as
> safe.
>
> If the build works without the test phase, another option might be just to
> have a note that testing needs to be done as root, since end-users generally
> aren’t expected to run tests.  However, this would probably mean that
> auto-build scripts for the binary distribution won’t work, whereas they would
> when building as root.
>
> Ideally, of course, there would be a way to force the test scripts to work as
> fink-bld, but this might not be possible.
>
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison

Alexander,

I am testing the —no-build-as-nobody option.  But I am still sort of curious
how the tests could run as root and not fink-bld.  To have the tar unpacking of
the test directories use the stored user/group info would have to have the tar
run as root.  Otherwise it would change all ownership to fink-bld which I
believe would be fine.

It seems that unpacking the original tar file leaves some files with the group
“wheel” and not fink-bld.  This would seem to be a problem with the original
source unpacking.

I get errors in both forms.
build as root:
Ran 418 tests in 247.699s

FAILED (failures=24, errors=100, skipped=5)
Test failed: <unittest.runner.TextTestResult run=418 errors=100 failures=24>
error: Test failed: <unittest.runner.TextTestResult run=418 errors=100
failures=24>
phase test: warning

Build as fink-bld:
Ran 418 tests in 179.702s

FAILED (failures=23, errors=100, skipped=5)
Test failed: <unittest.runner.TextTestResult run=418 errors=100 failures=23>
error: Test failed: <unittest.runner.TextTestResult run=418 errors=100
failures=23>
phase test: warning

Not sure why building as fink-bld runs so much faster?  There is 1 failure
difference.