On Sunday, November 3, 2002, at 04:38  PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

ssh -X -v -v -v ${mymachine} yields;

[skipped output not related to X11]

debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth list :0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
Last login: Sun Nov 3 15:31:35 2002 from adsl-157-133-20
Welcome to Darwin!

So it looks like it's trying to set up X11 forwarding, but the DISPLAY variable remains unset.
I wonder if some parameter in the Jaguar network/sharing preferences may be to blame. I can
remote log in, but the DISPLAY variable is still missing.

Looks exactly as here. Just to verify, you did delete any old .Xauth* files on both client and server machines?
What I can think of: explicitly create a new .Xauthority on the client machine with
'xauth generate :0', and add the following to the ~/.ssh/rc on the Mac:

if read proto cookie && [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then
if [ `echo $DISPLAY | cut -c1-10` = 'localhost:' ]; then
# X11UseLocalhost=yes
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth add unix:`echo $DISPLAY |
cut -c11-` $proto $cookie
else
# X11UseLocalhost=no
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth add $DISPLAY $proto $cookie
fi
fi

(this helped me to get rid of authentication errors, though it's probably just a slim hope in your case, as DISPLAY doesn't seem to be set in the first place and there never is any authentication going on). BTW, have you tried setting DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 manually and run an X11 program?
Finally, I never got X11 forwarding to work with OS X's openssh daemon, so you may want to make sure that it is actually /sw/sbin/sshd that's running and nothing else. As a last diagnostic tool, you can start the daemon manually with 'sudo /sw/sbin/sshd -ddd' and watch out for debug messages on the server side.

HTH,
Derek