(part of my new year's resolution is to be a bit more proactive in
saying what's going on in kde-darwin development =)

KDE 3.1 RC5 is in Fink unstable as of a few minutes ago.

Please give it a shot, and let me know if you have any issues.  I'm
pretty confident all the major issues are worked out, but I'm also
pretty certain at least one thing will go horribly wrong.  That is
always the case with a release this big.  =)

Thanks to Ben Hines for the work he did on the driver and other help in
debugging.  Thanks also to Peter O'Gorman for his work in tracking down
kdemultimedia issues.

Things New/Updated In This Release

There are many many many (did I mention many?) changes since the 3.0.7
packages were available, too many to say what all is different, but here
is an overview:

- Improved Arts Driver: The coreaudio driver that went into arts-1.1.0-4
  had a bug in initialization that would make it act funny if it
  connected/disconnected.  There's still more work to be done, but sound
  does work OK now in most circumstances.

- Improvements to the Build System: A number of strange problems in
  building on darwin have been cleaned up, including support for
  single module libraries when building with the December tools.  While
  building with dev tools earlier than the December 2002 tools are
  supported, it is not recommended, there can be some subtle library and
  module-loading issues.

  You should also notice a speed boost in startup times in this latest
  release.  A major libtool bug in the previous KDE packages has been
  fixed that reduced, by a large amount, the number of symbols that need
  to be looked up on KDE startup.

- Totally Reworked Info Files: I've completely revamped the info files,
  including making a bunch of dependencies more explicit, just to be
  certain.  I've also added help in the package description, which says
  how to install, uninstall, and enable KDE packages.  I've also added
  dummy packages that exist only to be depended on, so it's now possible
  to remove just one KDE meta-package by removing a single package.
  For example, to remove all of the packages from kdenetwork3, you can
  now run "sudo apt-get remove kdenetwork3-base".

- It's a New KDE Release: Not only have we changed a bunch of stuff in
  the darwin-specific portions of the tree, but KDE 3.1rc5 is just
  plain better than the 3.0.7 (3.1 beta1) release previously available.
  A ton of bugfixes have gone into these packages, and it's more stable,
  faster, and just plain better.

- KDE-related Software Updates: The following non-core KDE packages have
  been added/updated:

  kdbg: version 1.2.6
  kdevelop: 3.0 alpha2
  koffice: 1.2.1
  mosfet-liquid: 0.9.6pre1
  qt3: 3.1

Things NOT In This Release

- kdemultimedia: kdemultimedia now works with arts, using a fix from
  Peter O'Gorman for dlcompat, but is still not release-quality, so
  I am holding off on it for now.

- kdeaddons: kdeaddons is actually ported and for the most part works,
  but has bits that depend on kdemultimedia, so it's been left in
  experimental for now.

- kxine: kxine had been released previously to unstable, but is really
  pretty broken right now.  I've been unable to figure out what is
  wrong, so I've left it out of the KDE release for now.