An update:

This method revives XDarwin, but there can be deeper problems with Xquartz (= Apple's X11). If you have compiled tools/programs like Qt 3.1, KDE 3.1 against the threaded version of XDarwin, some, if not all, of them (or hopefully just their shared libraries) need to be rebuilt against threadless version if you want to run on Xquartz.

Currently, I'm checking out what tools need to be rebuild.

Kow