Le samedi, 11 jan 2003, à 15:26 Europe/Paris, Aaron Magill a écrit :

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 01:43  AM, Michèle Garoche wrote:

Obviously, choose the window manager you wish to use in both. This seems to work for me, though I wonder why the display var is set to :0 and :1 as opposed to :0.0 and :1.0, as they are once an x application is running...
Because if you want to run X11 and XDarwin at the same time you cannot use the same server, so one use display 0, the other display 1. By default, if no display is specified, display 0 is used. To run both app side by side you have to change the default for one application. For example for XDarwin with:

Sorry, if my question wasn't clear... I understand that each must have a different base display number... what surprised me was that when the .xinitrc script is run, the display environment variable contains the base number only and not the window number portion as well (:0 as opposed to :0.0, :1 as opposed to :1.0)... and maybe that's the answer to my question? The .xinitrc file is executed before the number of monitors for each display is determined?
Maybe, it would be clearer for you if you consider the display as a port, the client should connect to. So the port has an address of the form hostname.displaynumber.screennumber.

The second 0 you in :0.0 is the screen number, the first is the displaynumber.

Quoted from X man page:

From the user's perspective, every X server has a display name of the form:

hostname:displaynumber.screennumber

This information is used by the application to determine how it should connect to the server and which screen it should use by default (on displays with multiple monitors):

hostname
The hostname specifies the name of the machine to which the display is physically connected. If the hostname is not given, the most efficient way of communicating to a server on the same machine will be used.

displaynumber
The phrase display is usually used to refer to collection of monitors that share a common keyboard and pointer (mouse, tablet, etc.). Most workstations tend to only have one keyboard, and therefore, only one display. Larger, multi-user systems, however, frequently have several displays so that more than one person can be doing graphics work at once. To avoid confusion, each display on a machine is assigned a display number (beginning at 0) when the X server for that display is started. The display number must always be given in a display name.

screennumber
Some displays share a single keyboard and pointer among two or more monitors. Since each monitor has its own set of windows, each screen is assigned a screen number (beginning at 0) when the X server for that display is started. If the screen number is not given, screen 0 will be used.

See also xinit, Xserver ans startx.

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org/>