Did you get any response to this? Similar problems in the past have been
caused by having things in /usr/local/lib which override the Fink libs.
If your /usr/local is not empty, you might try moving it aside temporarily
("sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local.bak"), then doing your Fink compiles,
and then moving it back ("sudo mv /usr/local.bak /usr/local").

Didn't work. I moved /usr/local aside and rebuilt ncurses and readline, but building python gives the same error. It seems to be something in those two libraries:
Juliet[324]nm /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib | grep BC
000428c8 D _BC
U _BC
Juliet[325]nm /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib | grep PC
U _PC
U _PC
000428e0 D _PC
Juliet[326]nm /sw/lib/libreadline.dylib | grep PC
0002e194 S _PC
Juliet[327]nm /sw/lib/libreadline.dylib | grep BC
0002e19c S _BC

The "S" from libreadline is a little suspicious, no?

I've been trying to compile python and the linker complains about
duplicate symbols, _BC, and _PC, in the libreadline and libncurses
libraries (the full error message is below). I tried rebuilding
libreadline and libncurses, but that didn't help.
[....]