David,
    Under my copy of 10.2-gcc3.3, fink building g77 fails the
same way as reported earlier...

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.devel/5660/match=g77

I am tending to suspect this is somehow do to a mismatch with
the libiconv that been installed and used to build against.
     Actually this leads me to a question I have been meaning to
ask. Does fink (and its use of dpkg) maintain a strict control
over library dependencies? I know on debian ppclinux every deb
has strict library dependency information to prevent deinstalling
necessary libs or moving to the wrong .so version.
      Does fink's dpkg do the same? Or is it possible to accidentally
install prebuilt debs with mismatched libraries and not get an
error or warning out of dpkg?
                    Jack