On Dec 16, 2003, at 10:26 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

We were not talking about installed files, but about files avialable for installation.

Also we do have to also trust dpkg's 'body count' if it says there is a later version of a package which is already installed (even partial)... it is fully possible that a user could have dpkg or apt-get installed a higher version of a package from a binary, which is no longer available to be installed. Fink really has nothing to install when you tell it to.

Fink will install a .deb binary if it is already-built when a user does fink install, for example. However in this case, there is no deb for the package, and there is no info file. In that case, fink can currently do nothing at all - in the future it could look in the apt-get repository, but it would not have found it there either.

When a package is only in the dpkg status file and not fink's package index it is marked as a 'dummy' entry. (see Package.pm ~355). dummy entries generate the 'no package description available' error if they don't have a deb/info and you try to build or install them.

I don't know if there is a way for fink to tell that a dummy package only has config files left in the dpkg status db and isn't really installed. Perhaps fink could search for 'older' versions of the same package, as in this case, and ask if you would like to install that one instead, since the new one no longer exists. But it is also possible there are no older versions around either. Fink would also have to ask if you want to nuke your old config files.

What if, for exaample, the latest mutt version in 10.2/unstable would not build on 10.3, and one would be
forced to keep a lower version number in 10.3 at least for a while?

From what i can tell dpkg is really not set up at all to handle going backwards in version numbers at all. 'switching distributions' like this does not really happen in debian. I suspect correct fix would be to add an epoch to the lower version number in the 10.3 tree so it can be 'upgraded' to. I don't think we have any cases like this though.

-Ben