Oh. I guess I missed that one. However, I don't think dia will build
right now whether that's fixed or not.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

On Jun 14, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Kevin Horton wrote:

How can I determine which dependency of a package requires perl 5.8.1? I'm on Tiger, which has perl 5.8.6. I want to install dia, but the list of packages to be installed includes perl581. I don't really want to have multiple versions of perl hanging around, so I want to find out which dependency wants perl 581 and then see if it can be convinced to accept perl 586.

My output looks like this:

% fink install dia
Password:
Information about 4664 packages read in 2 seconds.
The package 'dia' will be built and installed.

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)      gnome-vfs2-dev: The GNOME virtual file-system libraries
(2)      gnome-vfs2-ssl-dev: The GNOME virtual file-system libraries

Pick one: [2] 1
The package 'libbonoboui2-dev' will be installed.
The package 'gdk-pixbuf' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed.
The package 'libgnome2-dev' will be installed.
The package 'libgnomeui2-dev' will be installed.
The package 'gnome-vfs2-dev' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed. The package 'xml-parser-pm581' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed. The package 'perl581-core' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed. The package 'libwww-pm581' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed.
The package 'compress-zlib-pm581' will be built and installed.
The package 'uri-pm581' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed. The package 'html-parser-pm581' will be downloaded as a binary package and installed.
The following package will be installed or updated:
dia
The following 11 additional packages will be installed:
compress-zlib-pm581 gdk-pixbuf gnome-vfs2-dev html-parser-pm581 libbonoboui2-dev libgnome2-dev libgnomeui2-dev
libwww-pm581 perl581-core uri-pm581 xml-parser-pm581
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

============
I looked at the info files for all the packages listed above, and I can't see an obvious reason why one of them wants perl 5.8.1.

I'm running the latest unstable fink, on OS X 10.4.1.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Found it:

$ fink dumpinfo -fdepends -fbuilddepends dia
Information about 4664 packages read in 16 seconds.
Information about 532 shared libraries read in 3 seconds.
Information about 532 shared libraries read in 0 seconds.
depends: orbit2-shlibs, libart2-shlibs, atk1-shlibs, audiofile-shlibs, libbonobo2-shlibs, bonobo-activation2-shlibs, libbonoboui2-shlibs, esound-shlibs, gconf2-shlibs, gtk+2-shlibs, gdk-pixbuf-shlibs, glib2-shlibs, libgnome2-shlibs, libgnomecanvas2-shlibs, libgnomeui2-shlibs, gnome-vfs2-shlibs | gnome-vfs2-ssl-shlibs, libiconv, gettext, libjpeg-shlibs, pango1-xft2-shlibs, libpng3-shlibs, popt-shlibs, libxml2-bin, libxml2-shlibs, scrollkeeper, gnome-keyring-shlibs builddepends: orbit2-dev, libart2, atk1, audiofile, libbonobo2-dev, bonobo-activation2, libbonoboui2-dev, libbonoboui2, esound, gettext-dev, gettext-bin, gettext-tools, libiconv-dev, gconf2-dev, glib2-dev, gtk+2-dev, gdk-pixbuf, libgnome2-dev, libgnomecanvas2-dev, libgnomeui2-dev, gnome-vfs2-dev | gnome-vfs2-ssl-dev, libjpeg, pango1-xft2-dev, libpng3, popt, libxml2, intltool, gnome-keyring-dev, xml-parser-pm581

(maintainer CC'ed)

If you're in a hurry, you might try modifying dia.info to use xml- parser-pm586 instead and report your results to the maintainer.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documentarian

--