On Oct 7, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

[snip]

Actually, the story is even more complicated: I have one machine here which had the same textutils-2.1-2 installed as the other one, but pari-gp built  nevertheless. It turns out that the textutils there was left over from Panther; rebuilding textutils makes head now give the error message too, and pari-gp build crashes as on the other machine.

So another conclusion of all this is that the textutils package needs a rev up on Tiger so that it is rebuilt, because the versions built on Panther and on Tiger are different. The difference in question here seems to be the definition of _POSIX2_VERSION in /usr/include/sys/unistd.h which is 199212L on MacOSX 10.3.9 and 200112L on 10.4.2. /sw/bin/head checks for this variable and gives the error message instead of the correct result when it is >= 200112.

Max, I am going to go ahead and do this (even though you are the maintainer of textutils): I will increase the revision number in the 10.4 tree.

  -- Dave