Avi Drissman wrote:
I'm on unstable, trying to get nget to compile. It falls over:

g++-3.3 -Os -Wall -MMD -MP -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Iuulib -no-cpp-precomp
-I/sw/include -I/sw/include -I/sw/include  -c -o nget.o nget.cc
In file included from cache.h:31,
                 from prot_nntp.h:26,
                 from nget.cc:48:
file.h:96: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
file.h:96: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
file.h:96: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
file.h:96: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
file.h: In member function `void c_file::read_le_u64(uint64_t*)':
file.h:96: error: `UINT64_C' undeclared (first use this function)
file.h:96: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)

Yes, this is a bug in the package. I don't know how this can ever have worked. What is strange is that the code in question has not changed for quite a while. Perhaps something subtle has changed in the Tiger headers, but I don't see what this could have been.

The problem is in the file _subconf.h. It #includes <inttypes.h> which by including <stdint.h> would define UINT64_C, but only if __STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS is defined. This is done in the file, but unfortunately <stdint.h> is already included earlier, indirectly from <assert.h>, and there __STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS is not yet defined.

Several solutions are possible, changing the order of the inclusion of <assert.h> and <inttypes.h> for example, or adding -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS to the compiler flags. Maintainer CCed.

--
Martin