A short while ago, I upgraded my Fink-based Ethereal sniffer to the latest source offering for Panther: 0.10.12. Unfortunately, especially in comparison to the previous releases, this one turned out to be a real snail. Startup takes over three minutes, and starting a packet capture takes even longer. No error or warning messages on the screen or any of the system logs, just the darn sluggish behavior.

The OS on my PB is at 10.3.9 with all patches. I have updated all my installed Fink packages and even rebuilt Ethereal afterwards, plus trashed its old preferences, to no avail. Although I've seen that the 10.4 Transitional/Unstable tree already has version 0.10.14 available, at the moment I am unable to upgrade my OS to Tiger.

Can this be a problem with the program, my system or something else? Is there anything that can be done to alleviate?

TIA for your help.