Hi List,

is it possible that the gcc_select on my system since MacOS .10.4
should be different from everybody else's?
Calling
#> whence -p gcc_select
  /usr/sbin/gcc_select
#> sudo gcc_select --force 4.0
*** THE gcc_select SCRIPT MUST BE RUN   ***
*** AS root (OR WITH THE -root OPTION). ***
*** NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO YOUR SETUP. ***

gives fairly clear instructions... I  am sorry for not reporting this
earlier but rather installing a wrapper script in /sw/sbin
that would call "/usr/sbin/gcc_select -root $1", but I thought
this should be noticed quite soon.
Now since the current fink makes sure it calls gcc_select
from /usr/*bin (and hides the ensuing error message!), the
fix would not work any longer and caused me some headaches
to track the original problem down.

So could someone enlighten me whether fink has been broken
for half a year without anyone else noticing or I have indeed for
some weird reason a different gcc_select script in /usr/sbin
than what's supposed to be in there (that machine was upgraded
from 10.3.x without wiping the disk/archive+install or such).

Thanks in advance,

                                        Derek