Well, what is supposed to happen is that you are asked all of these
questions "up front," that is, you ask fink to install foo, it says
"bar or bas?", you answer, and then it is off and running.

Are you experiencing a prompt of this sort in the middle of a fink
install rather than at the beginning?  If so, that's a bug; please
tell us more.

   -- Dave