On 11/27/07 1:11 PM, "Alexander K. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Yep, I tried that and got this:
>>
>>> Removing xml-sax-pm586 ...
>>> /sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/xml-sax-pm586.prerm: line 13: 26902 Bus
>>> error /sw/sbin/update-perl586-sax-parsers --remove
>>> XML::SAX::PurePerl /sw/bin/dpkg: error processing xml-sax-pm586
>>> (--remove): subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit
>>> status 138
>>
>>> Does that indicate a separate problem? Thanks again.
>>
>>> Laine
>>

>> Ouch.  That looks like some kind of chicken-and-the-egg thing,
>> since the command that's throwing a bus error is from xml-sax-pm586
>> itself.
>>

> See if (re)moving /sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/xml-sax-pm586.prerm lets you
> remove the package.

OK, that made Fink happy to remove it, but then when I ran sudo apt-get -f
install, I got

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up xml-sax-pm586 (0.15-2) ...
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/xml-sax-pm586.postinst: line 10:   658 Bus error
/sw/sbin/update-perl586-sax-parsers --add XML::SAX::PurePerl

So, because your above suggestion worked out so well, I removed the files I
found whose names began with "xml-sax" and contained "pm586" in
"/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info". Now sudo apt-get -f install seems to run with the
expected results. Was that a bad thing to do? I have a Time Machine backup,
should you suggest I put them back. Thanks.

Laine