Last night, the massive gnome update which has been in process for
many months was merged into fink's unstable tree.  This is well
tested, and updates by users appear to be going fairly smoothly.

Today, we will merge the gnome update into the stable tree.  Because
we have been unable to test the dependencies of these new packages in
the stable tree in advance, users can expect the "stable" tree to be
"not so stable" during the next few weeks, while the bugs get worked
out.

If you are eager to start using this massive gnome update immediately,
we suggest that you switch to the unstable tree.  If not, we suggest
that you hold off running "fink selfupdate" for a while (perhaps a
week or two) until things have again stabilized.

Watch this list for progress reports.

  -- Dave