On 01/08/2009, at 23:56, Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 09:00:07PM -0500, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>> Martin Costabel wrote:
>>
>>> I guess pogma needs to add another patch for autoconf-2.64.
>>> Or Fink needs to go back to autoconf-2.63.
>>>

>> Well, gcc requires the use of specific, non-vendor patched versions
>> of
>> the autotools, the version of autoconf currently required is 2.59.
>> Using
>> any other version to autoreconf gcc is problematic. Ralf, Paolo etc
>> are
>> working on updating gcc's autoconf to 2.64 for gcc-4.5.x.
>>
>> Still, I hope that the use of undocumented m4 sugar and autoconf
>> macros
>> in the wild is minimal. I am still willing to revert the autoconf
>> package to 2.63 and increment the epoch, I am not willing to patch
>> autoconf to keep previous behaviour for m4_copy and m4_rename just
>> for
>> the gcc42 package though.
>>
>> Martin, in your opinion is the new autoconf package too
>> incompatible to
>> keep being named 'autoconf'?
>>
>> Peter
>> --
>> Peter O'Gorman
>> http://pogma.com
>
> Peter,
>   I am in the process of checking in new gcc42-4.2.4-1000 info and
> patch files which backports the same configure support for --disable-
> libjava-multilib
> so that regeneration of the configure files can be avoided. I have
> been
> using this approach in gcc43 and gcc44 but never backported it to
> gcc42.
>            Jack

Revision 1001 builds/installs on Intel 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3, 32-bit Fink.

If GCC needs a specific version of autoconf then avoiding
reconfiguration altogether looks like a robust (and possibly the best)
solution.

Cheers,

--
monipol
http://finkers.wordpress.com

Submitting a Fink bug report? Read this:
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/netiquette/index.php
http://finkers.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/bug-reports/