Kingston Mail Server wrote:
> While updating fink, I received this error:
>
> Failed: phase compiling: gcc44-4.4.1-1000 failed

That's not actually the error; that's a symptom of the error.  Literally
every possible failure mode during the compile phase will produce this.
Your error is noted below.

<snip>
> System: 10.5.8 MacPro Quad core. 10 GB Main Memory 3.5 TB Disks
>
> Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.
>
> Fred
>
> Here is the partial dump:
>

> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
> ___gmpn_add_n from /usr/local/lib/libgmp.a(add_n.o) not allowed in
> slidable image. Use '-read_only_relocs suppress' to enable text relocs
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

You have a third-party gmp in /usr/local which isn't compatible with our
gcc44.  As per our FAQ:

http://www.finkproject.org/faq/comp-general.php?phpLang=en#usr-local-libs

you can /usr/local out of the way while you build gcc44 to solve this.