Ben Abbott wrote:
[]
> However, I have no libfontconfig.fink.la file.

Well, I don't know what you did in the meantime. If you followed the
advice to remove *all* *.la files in /sw/lib and all of its
subdirectories, then libfontconfig.fink.la will have been removed, too,
and you should be safe.

> You mentioned I should *not* try to "reinstall" fontconfig2-dev, but then
> instructed that I do ? ? ?

The issue usually show up in the following way:
There is the "/usr/lib/libiconv.la: No such file or directory" error,
and trying to track it down one finds that the culprit is
libfontconfig.la. Removing this file works, temporarily, but
reinstalling or rebuilding fontconfig2-dev brings back the broken
libfontconfig.la file, because it is reconstructed from the broken
libfontconfig.fink.la. The latter does not obstruct linking commands by
itself, it only serves as a template to recreate libfontconfig.la.

In short, if you really opt for removing all *.la files under /sw/lib,
you will avoid the error caused by absent system *.la files. But you may
hit other snags, in kde packages, for example.

--
Martin