Peter,

As you've recognized, tetex is significantly out of date.  There is a much more
recent TeX distribution called texlive which has recently been packaged for
Fink.  If you need up-to-date versions of TeX packages, I recommend that.

So far, texlive is only available in the unstable tree.  You should be able to
find out how to activate that in the Frequently Asked Questions on the fink
website.  If you have trouble, ask on the fink-users mailing list (to which I
am copying this message).

  -- Dave