On Jan 19, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 1/19/12 11:20 AM, Roy Mendelssohn wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I followed the thread that if I upgrade to lIon, than I need to
>> reinstall Fink.  What is unclear to me is if I can expect most
>> already compiled programs to work,  or is it a crap shoot.
>
> Crapshoot. :-)
>
> We don't really have any feedback on people's experiences with
> recycling Snow Leopard .deb files (or executables, for that matter) on
> Lion.  For some packages it may work fine, for others, not so much.

I was faced with a similar conundrum when my old Feb'08 MBP running 10.5.8
croaked all of a sudden and had to emergency upgrade to a Nov'11 MBP that came
with 10.7.2 from factory. This forced a full reinstall to move from 32-bit to
64-bit as required by Lion.

Up till today, and with the great help from Alexander and the rest of the Fink
community, I have been able to successfully source-install the Fink base and
the Ettercap, NMap,  Wireshark and FontForge packages (together with all their
prerequisites) and all have run ok in the limited post-install testing I've
done. Note, though, that in the current Lion based Fink world, you have to
install all from source.

HTH.

J. Courcoul