> On May 24, 2015, at 07:01, William G. Scott <wgsc...@ucsc.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi folks:
>
> I’ve been using fink for well over 10 years now, but am having problems for
> the first time that I just can’t seem to get around. This has happened
> several times now, typically after a power failure due to the crumbling
> neglected University of California, albeit Santa Cruz infrastructure.  The
> only way I have found to recover from this is to reinstall fink from scratch.
>  There has to be a better way...
>
> I'm getting errors of the form:
>
> % sudo apt-get install fink
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 36  not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/993kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> (Reading database ... 255459 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace fink 0.38.4-91 (using
> .../fink_0.38.5-91_darwin-x86%5f64.deb) ...
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> /sw/bin/dpkg: error processing
> /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/fink_0.38.5-91_darwin-x86%5f64.deb (--unpack):
> subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/fink_0.38.5-91_darwin-x86%5f64.deb
> E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> I tried everything I could think of with "apt-get" and with "fink rebuild" to
> no avail.
>
> Initially, the file /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status  had these lines:
>
>   9125 Package: fink-buildlock-fink-0.38.4-91
>   9126 Status: deinstall reinstreq half-installed
>   9127 Section: unknown
>   9128 Architecture: darwin-x86_64
>   9129 Version: 2015.05.24-06.33.53
>
> I changed the Status line to this:  purge ok not-installed as suggested in
> the wiki
>
> This change persists, but so does the error.  I also tried
> sudo cp /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status-old /sw/var/lib/dpkg/status
> as suggested in FAQ 6.13 but to no avail.
>
> % fink --version
> Package manager version: 0.38.4
>
> % sw_vers
> ProductName:  Mac OS X
> ProductVersion:       10.10.4
> BuildVersion: 14E17e

We don’t support prerelease OS X. :-)

> Latest xcode, command-line tools, X11.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bill

The status file won’t buy you anything here.  The problem is that the
PreRmScript is throwing an error.

You might try running the script manually as root to see what’s going on.   The
currently installed one lives in /sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/fink.prerm .

On my system it looks like

#!/bin/sh
# prerm script for package fink, auto-created by fink

set -e

# clean up package indexes
[ \! -d /sw/var/lib/fink/finkinfodb ] || touch
/sw/var/lib/fink/finkinfodb/invalidate
rm -f /sw/var/lib/fink/index.db
rm -f /sw/var/lib/fink/index.db.lock
rm -f /sw/var/lib/fink/infolist
rm -f /sw/var/lib/fink/shlibs.db
rm -f /sw/var/lib/fink/shlibs.db.lock

exit 0

###

If your /bin/sh isn’t bash that might account for the problem.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison