> On May 6, 2016, at 06:50, Giuliano Franchetti <g.franche...@gsi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi to all,
>
> I am re-installing the fink distribution on my laptop, and
> I notice something strange. The gcc6.1 only should be
> installed, but I find that also gcc5.3 is getting installed.
>
> Is there something wrong or should it be like that ?
>

> Cheers
>
>       Giuliano

> Giuliano Franchetti
>
> Primary Beams / Beam Physik
>
> Office:         C27 3.018
> phone:       +49 6159 71 1535
> fax:             +49 6159 71 3099
> e-mail:        g.franche...@gsi.de <mailto:g.franche...@gsi.de>
> http://web-docs.gsi.de/~giuliano <http://web-docs.gsi.de/~giuliano>
>
> --
> GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
> Planckstraße 1
> 64291 Darmstadt
> www.gsi.de <http://www.gsi.de/>
>
> Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
>
> Geschäftsführung:
> Ursula Weyrich, Prof. Dr. Karlheinz Langanke, Jörg Blaurock
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Staatssekretär Dr. Georg Schütte
> Stellvertreter: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Rolf Bernhardt

That’s normal.  Since packages built using gcc normally link to its libraries,
our packages are set up to coexist so that an update to a new gcc doesn’t
immediately make everything that used the older one unusable.  This is our
policy for any packages which provide shared libraries that other packages use.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison