> On May 30, 2016, at 10:55, Jess H. Brewer <j...@triumf.ca> wrote:
>
> Over the past week or two I've been running into stalls on downloading.
>  At first it was just at the stage of getting the new archives for
> update-all commands, then it got worse, possibly because each time I
> eventually had to CTRL-C out of the operation(s).  I tried deleting
> various lock files, touching same to recreate them, etc., but this had
> no apparent effect.  I tried fink fetch-missing to separate downloading
> from processing, and it seemed to work, but afterward nothing had
> changed.  I ran fink configure many times, trying different
> repositories, to no effect.  Finally I set verbosity to 4 and tried to
> run fink cleanup:
>
> # fink cleanup
> Scanning package description files..........
> Information about 9161 packages read in 4 seconds.
> Collecting active source filenames...
> Obsolete sources deleted from /sw/src: 0
>
> Scanning deb collection...
> Obsolete deb packages deleted from fink trees: 0
>
> Obsolete symlinks deleted: 0
>
> /sw/bin/apt-get-lockwait --option APT::Clean-Installed=false autoclean
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Obsolete deb packages deleted from apt cache: 0
>
> Updating the list of locally available binary packages.
> Downloading the indexes of available packages in the binary distribution.
> 0% [Working]
>
> ...and there it waits, forever (or at least 24 hrs) without change
> (still 0%).  So I'm dead in the water.  The old fink stuff still works,
> as far as I can tell, but I can't make any changes or updates.
>
> This is probably something really simple and I'm going to come off
> looking like a noob, but... HELP!

As far as I know we haven’t added a new binary distribution repository, so
there’s really anything to reconfigure which will actually help in this case.
It works for me:

Downloading the indexes of available packages in the binary distribution.
/sw/bin/apt-get-lockwait update
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/main Packages
Hit http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/main Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree… Done

Maybe try running the command “sudo apt-get-lockwait update” manually to see if
that works.  Also try “sudo apt-get update”—theoretically both should have the
same behavior, but we might as well additional data.

Also, what are the contents of your /sw/etc/apt/sources.list file?  (Normally
apt-get throws an error message promptly when there is a download error,
however)

And what method are you using to give the fink tools administrative privileges?

Finally, what OS X version are you using?

As a workaround to the immediate problem, you can use “fink configure” and shut
off integration between fink and the binary distribution tools.  This will let
you update, albeit always from source.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison