On 28 Jun 2016, at 5:03 PM, Hisashi T Fujinaka <ht...@twofifty.com> wrote:

> I'm alternating between say, "WTF is a github snapshot archive?” and

Just the name I made up for https://github.com/vim/vim/archive/
Rest should be self-explanatory.

> "F*ck github." Maybe I should say both.

As long as that seems to be the only source of downloads less than 3 years old
you may be stuck with it one way or the other, unless you prefer the detour via
the mercurial interface or manually applying all patches from the ftp site.

                                Derek