No, not a justification for shooting anyone -- perhaps shooting those
close at hand who have previously attacked you with a deadly weapon
which you have now in your possession, and who refuse your lawful
orders consistent with trying to place them under citizens arrest ("as
you move away to increase distance, you did say "you are under arrest,
lie down at once", didn't you), and then if, you can no longer retreat
to reach a safe distance and the perp is still threatening to a degree
you can't practically determine, then deadly force may be in order in
the conflict that is continuing and that has threatened your life.

Of course, if you are a black belt in Kung Fu and are young and
vigorous, you might be inclined to take chances.

My point really is that there is a huge gap between legal discussion
after the fact and the practical concerns for an innocent who has
survived an initial attack which may be considered to be continuing
until the attacker has been lawfully subdued.

Phil

> I'll comment on one aspect of what Philip writes:
> > Have you searched him to insure he has no deadly weapons at hand?
> >
> > Police experience with a person with a knife can close a distance
of
> > 21 ft. or less and strike a fatal blow before you can stop him
with
> > gun fire from most handguns.  That is why they shoot persons with
> > knives who get too close.
>
>   Search for "Tueller drill" for more discussion of distance /
reaction
> times against a threat.
>
> > Even if he has no knife visible, can you be
> > sure he doesn't have one he can access and attack you before you
react
> > or react with enough force to stop him.
>
>   I hope this isn't a justification for shooting anyone who is
> apparently unarmed but is within 21 feet.
>
> ---henry schaffer
>
> Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed
as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that
are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can
(rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

--
The Art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get
at him as soon as you can. Strike at him as hard as you can and as