Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:00:35 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Army Lawyer on use of shotguns in combat
To: Firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu

The October 1997 issue of the Army Lawyer has an interesting legal
review of the use of shotguns by the US military. Especially germane
to civilian firearm laws is the discussion of the effectiveness of
shotguns versus assault firearms andsubmachine guns at close quarters.

<http://jagcnet.army.mil/JAGCNETINTERNET/HOMEPAGES/AC/ARMYLAWYER.NSF/c8
2df279f9445da185256e5b005244ee/6ae1de28fab6310685256e5b0054ec6b/
$FILE/Article%202.pdf>

Page 20:

"...British examination of its malaya experience determined that, to a
range of thirty yards (27.4 meters), the probability of hitting a man-
sized target with a shotgun was superior to that of all other weapons.
The probability of hitting the intended target with an assault rifle
was one in eleven. It was one in eight with a submachine gun firing a
five-round burst. Shotguns had a hit probability ratio twice as good
as rifles..."

It seems to me that many assault weapon and handgun bans, and other
firearm laws are based on implicit theories of lethality derived from
the media rather than actual empirical evidence of lethality and
effectiviness of firearms in combat.

>       Can anyone please point me to a good discussion of the
> advantages and disadvantages of shotguns vs. handguns for self-
defense?
> The more specific the cite, the better.  Many thanks,
>
>       Eugene
>
> Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed
as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that
are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can
(rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.