On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Will Brink <w...@brinkzone.com> wrote:

> From the Slate article:
>
> "The state recognized that the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller
> protects citizens’ right to keep handguns in the home.

> But it argued that
> the firearms it had proscribed constituted “dangerous and unusual
> weapons,” which the Heller court said could be outlawed. Indeed, Maryland
> pointed out, the Heller court explicitly declares that especially
> dangerous weapons “that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles
> and the like—may be banned.”

  Does the AR-15 fall into this category? M16 rifles are partially banned
since, as "machineguns", they are both subject to the NFA of 1934 and any
manufactured after 1986 are really banned (for non-gov't ownership.) Also,
they are clearly "useful in military service".

  The AR-15 is *not* a "machinegun", and I'm not aware that it has been
used in the US military service or in any other military service. But it
does *look* a lot like the M16.d

  The AK-47 as generally found in the US also is not a "machinegun" and
again I'm not aware of any military use. What is confusing is that the
*military* (machinegun) version has the same name, in addition to them
looking alike.

  Are semi-automatic rifles that look like military weapons "dangerous and
unusual"? It appears that there are over 2 1/2 million (maybe 4 million)
AR-15 rifles owned by people in the USA(
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/20/assault_rifle_stats_how_many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html)
 I cant find the US ownership number for the AK-47, but I'll guess a larger
number because it is a less expensive gun and generally considered less
desirable. Add in other semi-automatic rifles with replaceable magazines -
and we're likely well over 5 million - maybe approaching 10 million.

  Does the "unusual" label fit?

  What about "dangerous"? Semi-automatic firearms have been available
commercially for well over a century - Colt started production of the
Browning semi-auto pistol in 1900, and the famous 1911 Colt dates back to
1911 (and there was an earlier version.) Semi-auto rifles may have lagged a
bit in production, but the M1 Garand dating to the 1920's was heavily used
in WWII and later - and is considerably more powerful than either the Ar-15
or AK-47, and are a large variety of hunting rifles.

 All firearms are "dangerous", but perhaps they need to be especially
dangerous to be banned? Looking through District of Columbia v Heller I see
wording like,"in cases where a governmental body has deemed a particular
type of weapon especially dangerous." and "highly dangerous".

  So - we come to "dangerous *and* unusual" [emphasis added] It seems hard
to me to put
For a more thorough treatment see
http://www.progunleaders.org/Dangerous%20and%20Unusual/

> What strikes me as bizzar is, it was not long ago that the focus on gun
> control was on handguns. Handguncontrol et al, argued that handguns were
> involved in most firearms murders, were easy to conceal, 2A only applied
> to rifles, etc, etc. Now, it's a 180 focus being they lost that battle and
> now "only want to rid us of those evil black rifles made for war" and all
> that.
>
> The irony of that 180 should not be lost.

  Yes. :-)

--henry schaffer