Executive Summary: I think the evidence so far suggests that Smith
isn't Bellesiles.  I lent Andrew Ackerman some technical assistance
over the weekend.

Tim Lambert wrote:
> Of course, none of this proves that Smith isn't Bellesiles. Based on
> all the other things that he has posted I still believe that it is
> likely that he is Bellesiles but the case is not as strong now.

Over the weekend, I lent some technical assistance to Andrew Ackerman
in this matter.  I was able to determine fairly conclusively [1] that
Benny Smith has sent email and posted to Emory Wheel from the
Saline, Michigan District Library.

http://saline.lib.mi.us/

Andrew tells me that the ip that I tracked for him is from November,
when Bellesiles was still at Emory.  Apparently, as I understand it,
Smith has used variants on that ip number several times, which would
lead one to conclude that he uses computers at that library to send
messages.

I'm still awaiting information on ip numbers that Bellesiles used at
similar times, but at least preliminarily, I am inclined to suppose
that Bellesiles was not in Michigan during those times and that
whoever Benny Smith is[2], he is not the same person as Bellesiles.

If anyone has emails from Bellesiles, particularly from his Yahoo
account, and would like for me to examine them to try to see if they
came from the same ip range, contact me offlist.  I promise to keep
confidential any contents, but you don't really need to send me the
contents if you just want to ask my help in tracking the ip numbers.

My own working hypothesis is that Benny Smith is an enthusiast who may
know Bellesiles via email, as I know all of you via email, even though
I'm nobody at all in this field.

--Jimbo

[1] The records that I used to determine this are usually accurate but
not always.  It is at least possible that the ip number belongs to a
different organization, or that it is part of a dialup pool.  However,
community libraries do not usually offer dialup service, and a much
more plausible hypothesis is that these ips are for computers on the
library's network.

[2] I tracked down a Benjamin Smith who lives within commuting
distance of that library, and Andrew Ackerman called and left him a
message.  Perhaps that's him, perhaps not.