> > 1 - you are still using a Win98 system and so NTFS isn't supported???
>
> NTFS is not supported on some forms of solaris, linux and other OS's we have
> in the office - windows is not the only operating system on the market and
> many standalone devices only support the win98/fat32 formats due to MS
> licensing of NTFS.

I know that Linux has support for NTFS.  I have found that FreeBSD and
OpenSolaris supports NTFS...

So what other OS's do we really need to worry about?

> > 2 - you can't afford *$40* CDN for a *1 TB* external USB2 storage
> device???!!!
>
> Still does not help when moving files from one set of OS's to another
> - even when going from the same type of device to another, you do not
> want to have to reformat your USB sticks every time you start the move
> process - it is easier to have a simple set of script that work and a
> universal
> filing system that comes standard on all usb thumb drives/sd cards

Why would move the database as a native file?

It would be much better to zip up the database even applying a nominal compress
(telling the compress utility to create appropriate block size) to move the
file...

Sean