Just throwing another thing: Isn't some form of journaling expected to
appear in Firebird, as I've heard in the past?

If yes, the journal could be used to consolidade old transaction in one
and implement the thing about adjusting the transaction number and
making it overlap as I said previously, without needing to scan the
whole database.

Adriano