Hello,

I have a database with Firebird 2.5.0 embedded which I want to access
from a regular application started by the currently logged in user
(member of the local workstation administrators group) and a Windows
service application.

I can do this just fine when going through a regular Firebird server
instance via TCP/IP but I can't get it work with Embedded. I get the
following exception when the second application tries to open the database:

Database is probably already opened by another engine instance in
another Windows session.

Both executables are 32-bit, thus there is no mix of 32/64-bit Firebird
servers here.

When I have started the Windows service and run the regular application
with "Run as administrator" on Win7 this works fine then, so I guess it
is a privilege/security issue.

I read this in firebird.conf about local connections:

# ----------------------------
# Local Connection Settings
#
# The name of the shared memory area used as a transport channel in
local protocol.
# Note that the local protocol in v2.0 is not compatible with any
previous version
# if Firebird or InterBase.
#
# Please note that the server can register objects in Global\ kernel
namespace
# only if it runs under the account with SE_CREATE_GLOBAL_NAME privilege.
# This means that if you run the server under a restricted account under
# Windows Vista/XP SP2/2000 SP4 it will not be accessible using the
# local protocol from other sessions.
#
# Type: string
#
#IpcName = FIREBIRD

The user which is trying to start the regular application is a member of
the local administrator group, so from what I've read, the user should
have the above mentioned privilege, although I might be wrong here.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Thomas