On 01/03/2012 13:26, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 01.03.2012 17:17, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
>> I understand a problem, but please talk about the solution you're
>> proposing. What is the moment(s) a password should be converted, and
>> from what to UTF8?
>     Sorry, but I don't have a solution for this problem. I would say that
> password must be
> converted by client library from current session/process/thread locale, but...

I don't think it should. You're going to introduce another way to deal
with connection parameters.

If it's going to happen, it must be completely different and work for
all properties. The correct solution is to create a notion of the
"system charset" to be used as client charset.

Worse, in Windows what should this system charset be in the case of
console programs. It's not simple, console programs may be called by
GUI's one in background.

Also, sure, password must be converted to UTF8 when the user is created
or it's password is modified, using the current charset to UTF8.

Currently we already have the isc_dpb_utf8_filename, used inclusive for
the password. It's the way one should pass it, and I don't think we
should insert a hack here.

Adriano